Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ways to Improve Your Knitting - Use a Better Table

Did you know that the wrong table or stand can cause you a lot of aggravation?

Here's what I look for in a machine knitting table or stand:
  • Sturdy construction - forget about cheesy folding card tables, TV trays (horrors!), cheap ironing boards, etc.  You want something that will hold a heavy knitting machine plus weights and withstand  sideways forces.
  • Skinny enough to hold clamps securely.  If you have to use a table that won't hold clamps, you can use rubbery non-slip shelf liner.  Lay a long strip under your machine.  However, for a machine you use often or for use with a ribber, you should clamp to the table.
  • A way to put yarn on the floor.  Yarn feeds into the machine much better when you put it on the floor and let it have the extra dangling distance up to the machine.  Therefore, avoid tables that are up against a wall or so wide that the yarn has to be put on the table or slide a long ways across the top of the table.  (I've been rather crazed by the paint roller fad for circular sock knitting machines.  They mount a paint roller on their table and then let the yarn roll from the roller.  It tends to roll too far and add too much yarn, or it adds tension, and it's feeding from the top of the table, not the floor. I watch people knit with them, and they're constantly reaching out to fiddle with it.  What a nuisance!  I actually have my antique sock machine on a table with a big hole in the middle, through which yarn feeds.)
  • Room for tools.  This isn't essential, but it certainly is helpful.  Metal stands often have brackets designed to hold the machine lid.  In addition to putting tools on the table, I often have a surface at the side where I put tools, as well.  I am partial to the inexpensive rolling units with drawers.
I am especially fond of stands that are designed to go from flat for main bed knitting to tilted for ribber work.

12 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting and useful post, you are so very right about needing the correct table, I usually always use my knitting machine table for my knitting machines, it is one of those fold up ones however some time ago I was having problems with it being wobbly and flimsy so my dad made a new top for it made out of some good solid wood, not the notice board type wood they seam to make knitting machine tables out of lol. My table is very sturdy now and is wide enough for all my tools and I also put my yarn ball on the floor because it feeds so much better, unless I am using the Bond of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you wrote about the importance of a solid table. Nothing is better than a secure machine especially with a ribber or garter carriage attached. I never remove my ribbers, the garter carriage just hums along. This past summer I turned an unused room into a knitting studio, cabinets, drawers, plenty of counter top space and two of my five machines firmly attached to proper knitting tables. Even if your knitting space is limited a solid table is a good investment that will last for years and make knitting easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the metal tilt stands because I find tables awkward due to them not being standard, so sometimes the machine fits, sometimes it doesn't. I also do not like having my machine tilted ever, even with the ribber attached. Tables require it, but the metal stand allows me to move it to a flat position. If not, I catch (and have injured) myself on the gate pegs having to half rise from my chair to see up and over the machine when it's tilted, not to mention dislodging needles trying to see the upper bed. That leads to a lot of ripping back! I also cannot put my yarn on the floor due to 2 long-haired cats. Either they play with the yarn as it's feeding into the machine, or their hair gets knitted in. It sits on a lower end table or TV tray in front of my machine, although buying a simple wooden shelf, or putting the machine lid on the bracket of the metal stand is also an ideal place for yarn. I have seen some people with cup holders attached to their knitting tables as an additional place to hold their tools, though, and thought what a nifty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a certain height the table needs to be? I currently have it on a very sturdy folding table that's 28.5" from the ground. Sitting on a regular dining chair. Only started knitting for 3days and my shoulders are hurting. Do you have any recommendations from your experiences. By the way I love your YouTube videos, they are a big big help. :-) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina. I suffer from chronic pain. If I knit at the table; I hurt. If I use the metal tilt knitting machine stand (got it through knit and sew world) then I do not hurt. I also sit in an office chair that adjusts when i knit. Hope this helps you.

      Delete
    2. I use an office chair, and I change the height every so often. This is almost as good as a change in position.

      Sometimes I knit standing up, as well.

      Delete
  5. I use a 30" table, but I still get sore in one place or another if I knit a long time. I have a tendency to hunch down if I get tense. It seems helpful to use an adjustable chair and change it just to give the body something different. Sometimes it's surprisingly helpful to have the chair a little too high or low.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to find out if the table absolutely MUST be as long as the knitting machine. I'm just get started with MKing, on a really tight budget, and need to improvise some things. I have a small computer desk that sits on casters (which I really like for when the grandbabies come to visit) but it's only 36 inches wide. As the 1 metal bed machine I have is 42 inches wide, you can see my dilemma.

    Also, I have an antique treadle sewing machine (the machine is all rusty) which I want to convert to a KM table. I had thought I could just open the top and fit a block of wood into the hole where the sewing machine would sit, but it doesn't look like that would work. I've looked at Roberta Kelley's recent video about how she refitted hers, but I was hoping not to have to dismantle the top. How important is it to have flat edges on the side where the clamps go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slightly smaller table will probably work well if you can get the clamps attached securely and if it's sturdy.

      Delete
  7. I just started machine knitting and purchased a good used SK700. I have been searching for a table/stand and find that they aren't very plentiful. Any suggestions on a brand or where to find one? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knit Knack Shop and Newton's Knits both have a very nice, sturdy tilt stand. It's all metal and you can tip it for ribbing. They're easy to put together, take apart, and move, too. I paid $170 for a new one last month.

      Delete
  8. I have a Keyto cabinet which is very sturdy and accommodates the knitting machine with all my accessories inside. The top half folds back to get to the accessories inside the cabinet and the yarn sits on the top of it. The cabinet comes with a long storage bench which is great and slides under the cabinet when not in use, plus a thick cushion. I don't know if you can buy these anymore, as I have had mine since the 1980s. It's still looks like new and was an excellent buy. The knitting machine can be straight, or tilted depending on choice.
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete